Saturday, May 23, 2009

Know Thyself

He awakens to the familiar din of relentless repetition,

no solace found in his dreams of arrant inadequacy.

his sorrow's weight crushing the memory of its origins.

Yet, I watch unnerved as his mind thrashes in the drowning dissonance,

struggling, straining upward to breathe simplicity, calm, truth. 


His logic is nothing but an insulting pessimism, 

history its bitter accomplice.

Hope, his arrogant romantic, 

an armored avian flailing against its vain burden.


Sighing, he rubs his crestfallen mahogany eyes, 

likely coveting my clarity- my deceiving serenity. 

He pushes a hand through dark, deeply-disheveled hair.


Without words I know the constant chaos in his kaleidoscopic mind.

Now in solemn solitude we inspect each-other in unvarnished bigotry. 


Reluctantly we wipe the condensation from the cloudy glass between us. 




- Getting to know yourself is one of the most difficult things for guarded people to do, those walls we put up as protection against others often distort our clarity of self perception. People can live their lives without ever realizing they are only playing a role and that their real self is buried somewhere beneath it. Excavating a frail, neglected self is a difficult process that requires a lot of trust in oneself. Yet, once we realize our own real value, the actions of others won't have the ability to make lasting injuries to our self image. 

~M.R.




It is wisdom to know others;

It is enlightenment to know one's self.

Lao-Tzu




 

2 comments:

  1. loved your comment on knowing yourself. so true, people go through life never letting their guard down. too many people play parts they think other peopl will appreciate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Invictus
    by William Ernest Henley

    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

    Beyond this place of wrath and tears
    Looms but the Horror of the shade,
    And yet the menace of the years
    Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

    ReplyDelete